One of the things that I have noticed about in writing, and ranting, about my sailing ideals is how pointless it all seems. I seem to be championing an ideal of engineless sailing and beauty that is long gone. Buried in a sea of plastic, diesel and electronics. What I know is that the effort on my part takes time and energy and is seldom well received. So I have decided to stop ranting on Knockabout Sloops. If the need should arise perhaps I will rant on my forum, which is pretty much my own private space.
The world is ever changing and I wouldn't be surprised if engines became a legislated "safety device" or if more harbors required them to enter and exit (I believe Victoria BC already does). Therefore I will endeavor to seek out beauty under sail, while I can, instead of pointless rants.
It is a good time, what with sailing season just about to start in the San Juan Islands.
I’m not poor, I’m broke
-
There is a very distinct difference and while I’m at it… I’m not broke I’m
even. I was once told …
Continue reading →
The post I’m not poor, I’m broke a...
3 years ago

3 comments:
What a bummer. As a person who is intent on learning to sail without an engine, your posts were very enlightening. I hope it's not the engine-kooks driving you out with their inane commentary. I'll see you on your forums as soon as I actually get a boat!
Don't let them get to you, Bill.
No Worries.
I write what I write because I love to sail. Many people try to agree with me but they just don't get it. I don't sail without an engine because I am a purist, I do it because I love to sail. Every time a skipper turns on his motor on a boat I am on, I cringe. I feel a puff of wind and think this might be worth trying let's shut of the motor and try to sail. But is it just me and to each their own.
In the end, beauty is isn't practical and sailing isn't easy. But few of the truly wonderful things in life are.
Some will need to redefine their choices so they look they way they want and who am I to point this out. A shame really. I think there is too much of that going on in our culture these days.
In any event a Google search or two and a strong independent streak and you can find the info and the inspiration you need to break apart from the motor sailing crowd.
Cheers, Bill
Post a Comment