Sunday, August 12, 2007

Nathaniel Herreshoff S Class




I think the S Class boats are quite stunning. Why, why, why aren't there modern versions of these classics. Here is a brief description from the S Class Website.
The "S"-Class Boat is a displacement boat that is quick in light air, stiff in a breeze, andremarkably agile in response to her helm. She is powered by a five-eighths rig consisting of aself-tending jib, a main, and a spinnaker. The cockpit provides unusually ample working spacefor a one-design racer; it is moderately deep, comfortable, and relatively dry. The cabinprovides shelter from foul weather, storage and space for a portable head if desired. Mostwere produced between 1919 and 1941 by the world famous Herreshoff ManufacturingCompany in Bristol, Rhode Island; designed and supervised by "Captain Nat" Herreshoff - theWizard of Bristol.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love your line drawing on the top of the web site, it looks like a knockabout with a cuddy cabin. This boat looks a little different than the herreshoff S boats. What is it? Do you know if anyone is making FG hull reproductions? Thanks

Bill Evans said...

The line drawing at the top of this blog, http://knockaboutsloops.blogspot.com/, is the reason for this blog. That is the concept drawing of the boat that I am having modified to create my own modern day knockabout sloop. She is an old Shields class race boat that I contracted Tim Lackey, http://www.northernyacht.com/, to modified. Sadly I don't know of anyone currently making a similar boat.

Cheers, Bill

A. Garbutt said...

I am of the old school. I love the older design and by the way powerless is a good way to go if you have the skill. It is diffuclt to find the older styles being built. But when I happen to see an oldie on a cradle in a boat yard I have to stop, look and wonder of her history.

A. Garbutt